Microsoft is working on the next version of DPM. The First public beta will properly available at the end of the summer or in the fall?
Some of the new features that DPM v3 will include were shown during a recent webcast. But what should DPM v3 include according to you?
You can select multiple items from the list
- Improved Tape backup support: Allow to configure in more detail when backups run, exclude certain dates from the schedule, specify which tapes should be used when.
- Support for None Microsoft OS/applications: In the 2007 release only applications that have a VSS writer available are supported. Other applications are supported using a flat file dump/backup.
- Protect none (trusted) domain servers: A machine in a none trusted domain or in a workgroup cannot be directly protected by DMP2007
- Management console on another computer: The graphical interface can only be installed on the DPM2007 server itself. The PowerShell management shell can be installed on a remote management station as well.
- More standard repots: Are the reports of the current DPM version sufficient or should v3 include more reports
- Improved documentation: Is the documentation sufficient or should v3 include more/better documentation
- Better SAN integration: Does the SAN integration need improvement
- Exchange single mail restore: DPM2007 restores the full mailbox store, with Powershell you select the mailbox to recover.
- USB/Firewire storage support: There is no native support for backups to USB/Firewire disk. A workaround that works is installing a virtual tape drive
Other suggestions, drop me a mail!
This is just a informational poll, I do not have any influence on what will be in the next version of DPM. But you never know :-)